The volca sample is a sample sequencer that lets you edit and sequence up to 100 sample sounds in real time for powerful live performances. It’s a powerful addition to any existing volca setup, or simply on its own. The new volca lets you recapture the excitement of the first generation of samplers, in which any sound — vocals, spoken words, ambient sound, or glitches — becomes material for your creations!
Volca Sample Features
- Sample Selector: This selects the sample. The number of the selected sample appears in the display.
- START POINT knob: This knob sets the starting point for playback of the sample. Set the starting point within the range of 0% to 90% of the total length of the sample.
- LENGTH knob: This knob sets the length of the sample to be played back. Set the length within the range of 1% to 100% of the original sample length. The length of the sample to be played back changes depending on the setting selected with the START POINT knob.
- HI CUT knob: This knob adjusts the cutoff frequency. Turning the knob to the left will darken the sound of the sample to be played back, and turning the knob to the right will brighten the sound.
- SPEED knob: This knob sets the playback speed for the PCM sound. Hold down the FUNC button while turning this knob to change the speed in units of notes.
- EG INT knob :This knob sets the depth (intensity) of the PITCH EG effect within the range of –100% to +100%. ATTACK knob This knob sets the attack time for the
- PITCH EG. DECAY knob: This knob sets the decay time for the PITCH EG. When this knob is fully turned to the right, decay is turned off.
- LEVEL knob: This knob sets the playback level. PAN knob This knob sets the pan.
- ATTACK knob: This knob sets the attack time for the
- AMP EG. DECAY knob: This knob sets the decay time for the AMP EG.
This knob sets the tempo for the sequencer.
This knob moves even-numbered steps a maximum of 75% backward. Hold down the FUNC button while turning this knob to move the steps in the opposite direction.
REVERB MIX knob
This knob adjusts the wet/dry balance of the reverb. When this knob is fully turned to the right, only the wet reverb signal will be sent to the output. When this knob is turned all the way to the left, only the original dry signal will be sent to the output. .
This knob sets the output volume.
PART < and > buttons
Use these buttons, for example, when selecting a part.
STEP MODE button This button switches the function of step buttons 1 to 16. Pressing this button will switch the function.
This button mutes a part. Press this button to enter part muting mode (while the button is lit up). With step buttons 1 to 10, specify the mute setting for each part.
- Canceling muting for all parts (MUTE button + step button 16)
- While holding down the MUTE button, press step button 16 to cancel muting for all parts.
FUNC (function) button
The setting for various functions can be specified by holding down the FUNC button and pressing another button. The FUNC button will be lit up while a setting is being specified. For details on the functions that can be specified with the FUNC button, refer to “Specifying function settings with FUNC button”.
The volca sample is equipped with memory locations to save 10 sequences and 6 songs. Press the MEMORY button, and then press a button between M1 and M10 to load the saved sequence. Pressing the FUNC button and MEMORY button, then pressing a button between M1 and M10 will save the current sequence into the memory. Press the MEMORY button, and then press a button between S1 and S6 to load the song and enter song mode. For details on operations in song mode, refer to “Song mode”.
Press this button to play the sequence. The(PLAY) button will be lit up during playback. Pressing this button again stops playback.
Sequences can be recorded. Press the (REC) button while stopped to enter record-ready mode (the button will blink), and then press the (PLAY) button to start recording (the button will light up). The performance will be recorded with step buttons 1 to 16. Pressing the (REC) button during playback will begin recording from the point where the button was pressed.
This function records adjustments made to knobs while a sequence is being recorded. Once the sequence has made a full cycle from the step where a knob was used, this function is automatically deactivated. Knobs that are adjusted during recording will blink.
This changes the levels of the low and high output ranges.
- BASS knob This knob sets the level of the low range between –∞ dB and +6 dB.
- TREBLE knob This knob sets the level of the high range between –∞ dB and +6 dB. Display This displays the values selected by using the knobs and buttons.
Adjusting the Global Settings
Volca Sample: MIDI Implementation
The MIDI jack can connect an external MIDI device to control the sound generator of the volca sample.
Setting the MIDI channel
- While holding down the MEMORY button, turn on the volca bass.
- Step buttons 1 to 16 correspond to the MIDI channels 1 to 16. Press the button that corresponds to the desired channel, and the LED below the step button will light up
Volca Sample Resources
Tips and Tutorial Videos
- Using Motion Record on Korg Volcas
- Free Sample Available to Download for Volca Sample
- Specifying function settings with FUNC button on Volca Sample
- How to Use Song Mode with Volca Sample
- Manufacturer :
- Volca Sample
- MIDI Implementation:
- Download Here